A D V E R T I S E M E N T
Getting a job that’s better paid, more challenging, more rewarding, or closer to home is not a matter of chance. It’s simply a problem of selling yourself through a great CV, a perfect cover letter, and some brilliant answers to the interview questions. Some people tend to perform better during the recruitment phase, even if they’re not necessarily the ideal candidates for the job. These are usually those candidates with good computer skills, so that they can quickly create a customized resume for a specific job offer. They are also literate and skilled with words, enough to make even a regular job task appear like a spectacular achievement, and they invest a lot of time in researching the latest trends in their respective industries.
But you don’t need to spend days on end polishing your resume to compete with them. CV Globe provides free curriculum vitae templates to help you achieve the same results faster and easier than ever before.
How to Use Curriculum Vitae Template
When using a curriculum vitae template, you should always start by selecting one that’s already customized for your industry or job type, in a format that suits your level of expertise. This will make things considerably smoother – but the hard work is still up to you. A template lists the most important sections that should be included in any resume, such as your goals and objectives, your career profile, previous experience, education and training, references, personal interests, and so on – but now you have to select only the most relevant such experiences, and present them in a way that appeals even to the most severe recruitment manager.
- Usually it’s easier to start with a curriculum vitae template that’s organized by a chronological criterion, even if you do not have the extensive work experience required to make this format work in your favor. Still, it allows you to list all your previous jobs, and to evaluate your accomplishments and most important results in each case. You may even decide to keep the result, or switch to a functional format once you’ve determined exactly what you want to include.
- Once you’re pleased with the information, take a step back and evaluate the curriculum vitae layout. If you’ve used one of the templates provided, it should have a clean aspect, a clear organization, and a simple structure. Employers will not read it word for word (though rest assured that, if you make a single typo, they will spot it), so ask a friend to evaluate the impact at a quick glance. A third party will definitely be more objective, and may point out mistakes or inconsistencies.
- When analyzing the layout, also watch out for large blocks of text, and try to break them down into smaller chunks. Keep not only paragraphs, but also sentences short, and in plain English. Avoid using too many adjectives and adverbs, and stay clear of passive sentences.
As your career evolves, so does your resume. You should not assume that curriculum vitae writing is a one-time task, and you can simply recycle it every time you want to apply for a new position. Check and update your existing resume frequently, at least when your job description changes, if not more often. Most often, you will have to tweak and adjust it when you want to apply for a job, to make sure it’s one hundred percent relevant. Organize different versions of your CV in a special folder on your computer, so you can track them quickly when you need to make a few changes.
Tips for Making Your CV a Perfect Match for Any Opening
Curriculum vitae templates are great tools to help you decide on the format and layout of your resume. Think of them as vessels that will hold the information. Fill them up with your personal details, and then refine the result even further, for each job application you send out. Ideally, the end result should be more than a resume, it should be an answer to the problem raised by the respective job ad. In certain cases this may involve additional research.
- For instance, it is highly recommended to study the openings available in your industry, and to make a list of various recurring requirements. Even if the position you apply to does not explicitly mention some of those requirements, you may one to get one step ahead of the competition, and already indicate in your resume that you have the qualifications and skills that may be needed in the future.
Go even deeper than industry-specific resumes, and analyze the employment policy and the corporate culture of your potential employers. If you read their website, press releases, and other job ads, you may notice that certain words are used more frequently, and and some features are stressed more than others.
- One company may take pride in their quick response time to emergency situations, while another may decide to focus on implementing quality standards. Some may value family traditions and reliability, while others expect dynamism and creativity. Knowledge is power; the more you know about your employer, the easier it will be to tailor your curriculum vitae to their expectations.
A D V E R T I S E M E N T
A good CV template is the foundation on which you can build the your entire future career. Take your time to review all the options, and read the samples provided as well to get more ideas and to find new perspectives. Build your case slowly and consistently, and start as working on your resume as soon as possible.
- A very common mistake is to write a CV quickly when you see an attractive job ad. In order to improve your chances of success, you should already have a great curriculum vitae, updated and verified, and just make some more slight adjustments, wherever needed. Timing is essential; if you waste too much time preparing your resume, the employer may decide to select another candidate sooner.
If you want to take control of your career, there’s no better time to start than today. It doesn’t matter if you’re satisfied with your current job or not, if you’re preparing to graduate and worried about finding your first job, or if you’re thinking about making a career change, but haven’t decided exactly what would be the ideal job for you. Having a good resume will bring you one step closer to your goals, whichever these may be.