A D V E R T I S E M E N T
A noble profession, being a firefighter is one of the top answers when kids, especially young boys are asked what they would like to be when they grow up. The heroic deeds of saving trapped people from inside blazing buildings inspire many to take their own steps and be helpful in the neighborhood.
As with any other profession, there are prerequisites and steps to take in order to become a full-fledged firefighter in Tennessee. Fulfilling these steps would lead to a fulfilling career that most children as well as other adults look up to and respect.
Here Are the Basic Steps to Become a Firefighter in Tennessee:
- Join the fire department in your locale as a volunteer. While it won’t immediately have you on the field, being a volunteer gives you the firefighting training you need in order to become a full-fledged firefighter. This qualification also adds extra points to your resume.
- Take classes from the Tennessee Fire Service and Codes Enforcement Academy or enroll in colleges which offer firefighting classes. All throughout the state, there are about 11 colleges which offer these classes.
- Strive hard and get good grades. This paves way for you to get better opportunities.
- Be in great physical condition and prepare yourself for when you are finally a firefighter. Work out on a weekly basis without fail, or have a membership at the gym to strengthen your physique. Cardiovascular as well as lifting exercises are important. These help increase your endurance and stamina as well.
- If you have a degree in Fire Science, you will have better chances of getting hired. Finish your studies apply in fire stations where you would like to work at. This also increases your chances of getting promoted or having better pay in the long run.
- Have a thorough resume highlighting all your qualifications to become a firefighter. Include everything related to your firefighting experience; serving as a community volunteer, club memberships, seminars, and classes. All of these increase your chances of getting your dream firefighter job in Tennessee.
- Research the requirements of the fire house or fire station where you would like to work at. Each one has a different set of requirements and know all of them before proceeding with the application.
- Take the battery of tests in order to qualify for the firefighting position. Each local fire house has several tests in different categories in order to see your qualification as a potential firefighter.
- Do not give up if you are not accepted at your first attempt where you applied. Try sending your resume and requirements to several fire houses. Sometimes, the other fire stations are already overstaffed and you just need to find the place where they accommodate a new firefighter.
A D V E R T I S E M E N T
In order to be a professional firefighter, one of the most important steps is to get an education and finish the degree since it can give a major boost to your career advancement. Remember to persevere and try out all avenues in order to reach your dream of becoming a firefighter in Tennessee.